Stian Holmen - Simple life

Simple can be complicated and difficult, or just easy and simple.
Personally i really like this picture. So simple as it can be; a crow on a wire.
Two years ago i had an exhibition, and made a print of this one.
A friend of mine told me this was crap, not a picture for exhibition or sale!
5 minutes after it opened, i sold my first picture.
Not a diving sea-eagle in sunset, not a polar bear climbing in front of a glassier
or other majestic birds or animals… it was a crow from the neighborhood sitting on a wire:-)
Would you have it on your wall as a big alu-print?
Why or why not?

Location: Flatanger

Tags: B W, Bird, crow, Minimalistic, simple, stian holmen

Comments

1. Theo said:

07/02/2012 09:21

Yes Stian I would hang this on my wall (if it was not so full already ;-)). Great example of 'less is nore', love it.

2. Suzie said:

07/02/2012 09:44

Very minimalistic. I love it.

3. Stian Holmen said:

07/02/2012 11:51

I don´t try to sell it, but i´m glad to hear that you could have a pic like this on the wall:-)
    It´s interesting with pics like this one; some love it and some hate it! A "classic" nature photo of a beautiful bird, animal or landscape can almost everyone put on the wall, no one will really hate it. I think there are more people hating this pic then peoples who love it.

The last years i think a lot of nature photographers have made a lot of pics that looks very similar. "all" photographers travel to the same spot, with the same fantastic equipment, shoot the same spices in similar scenes on the same location. Of course, i also want to travel to these "famous" places, and see the same beautiful spices and breathtaking landscapes. But, the pictures will often look like something i have seen before... The experience will often have more value than the pictures. Good photographers will of course manage to make their own pictures on a well known "famous spot"

For me, the challenge is to make something "new". I´ts very difficult. I hope to create my own "style" and make pictures that are only mine. It´s not easy, and i don´t know if i can succeed, but it´s essential for my motivation as nature photographer.

To use naturphoto as a weapon in the fight for nature is also very important to me. The pictures for such use are different from a "stand alone" picture like the crow. I prefer to work with both stills, video and music to tell my story, but that is another topic:-)

4. Theo said:

07/02/2012 22:48

Hi Stian,

I fully agree with your vision. Experimental, 'difficult' or abstract pictures are not always understood, while everybody likes a nice classic wildlife shot of a young animal. I know all about it ;-) But I also find it is important to find your own style, to try new things and to make pictures that have not been made before. It gives much more satisfaction I think. Like Herman Melville said: "It is better to fail in originality, than to succeed in imitation".

After seeing your GDT presentation I am sure you are on the right way.

08/02/2012 00:50

Dito Theo!!!

6. Jaak Põder said:

08/02/2012 10:16

In last Lofo I wrote an article about being a nature photographer and nature lover at the same time. The main point was that 'nature photographer' side more and more pushes aside 'nature lover' side. We so much strive to become more unique and so on in our art that we tend to forget what is it we like in the end.

My opinion is that successful style cannot be created by force. If you do what you love it evolves itself. There are insanely many photos in the world that are made to be different and 99% of these are bad because 'different' is not the only thing that makes the picture interesting. This is not only in nature photography, but other areas as well.

As for the choosing of some certain pic over the other -- I think it is what the person relates to. Of course the aesthetics of the pic are also important, but the connection with the pic is crucial. And that's why crows, swans, tits sell a lot better than for example sandpipers or grebes.

My 2 cents.

7. Theo said:

08/02/2012 14:24

Sounds like an interesting article, is it in Estonian? ;-)

I agree with you that different is not enough. The picture should also be beautiful, interesting or evoke emotions. That's probably why Stian asked: would you hang this on your wall? If nobody likes a picture than the mission to be different has not really succeeded I guess.

And I also agree that finding your own style is related to doing the things you love, things that come from the heart. If not, there is a big danger that it becomes just a trick.

8. Margi Todors said:

09/02/2012 09:32

Yes, absolutely! It is the pure beauty! Congrats!
    Best,
    Margi

9. David Guimaraes said:

20/02/2012 21:49

Poetry! Simple but powerfull as an Haiku!