Roy Mangersnes - Hippos in the evening

I just came back from Botswana, leading a group of photographers to the Okavango and Chobe NP. We had a great time with some amazing encounters. Still the Hippos are one of my favorite animals to work with in Africa. There is something magical about laying on the ground next to a hippo-pool in the morning, or evening light, never knowing what will happen. Perhaps a bird walks by, or the Hippos decide to come closer. All at the same time I am completely aware that I might have to run any minute, as the Hippo can be rather grumpy.

Tags: Hippopotamus, Hippopotamus amphibius Botswana Okavango, roy mangersnes

1. Geir Ole said:

02/12/2011 21:25

A picture full of life, a beautiful scenery and nice light. Combined with the water-lewelled view, its magic :)

2. Oriol Alamany said:

02/12/2011 23:09

The low-level and the drops of water stopped in the air make the picture!

3. Roy Mangersnes said:

03/12/2011 14:42

Thanks guys! The drops are a result of the Hippo waiving her ears to get rid of flies bothering her. The little one to the right is actually standing on its mothers back :-) In my opinion low level is essential for this kind of photography.

03/12/2011 21:10

The composition, light, background and action just make this image unique. I have been at eye level with hippos as well and know exactly what you mean...

5. yvan said:

04/12/2011 17:48

WOW, perfect, breathaking shot!

6. David Guimaraes said:

10/12/2011 20:21

I simply love it, full of emotional intensity created by the presence of the cub, and full of intention and soul... an arty shot and at the same time, an unique moment full of life!