Bruno D'Amicis - Dance of the fireflies

The nuptial flight of the fireflies was one of the highlights of my childhood summer holidays. When the nights would be warm enough, hundreds of these fluorescent lights would dot the country landscape. We, kids, would set off with our BMX bikes to catch them and hold those tiny lights in our hands. We would put them in a jar, to make a dim lamp, or toss them to the sky to make them fly high. We were cruel bur naïve. I should treasures those early memories of freedom and awe. Fireflies are getting rarer and rarer nowadays, because of air and light pollution. Even though this makes me sad, every year I save a handful of nights to photograph this amazing phenomenon and enjoy that childish feeling in the velvet warmth of summer nights.

Long live little ghosts of the summer! 😀

Tags: bruno damicis, firefly, luciola, night, spring

Comments

1. Manolo Perez said:

31/05/2011 10:51

Awesome!!!!!

2. Vaido said:

31/05/2011 11:15

This is really special atmosphere captured here!

3. Jaak Põder said:

31/05/2011 21:13

Absolutely stunning pic! Probably the mystery that someone can produce light without fire or electricity is why fireflies are so interesting for kids and grown-ups alike. And this movement on the pic captures the essence of it.

Sidenote: one of my favourite movies is 'Grave of fireflies' and it reminded me that I have not watched it for a year or so. I know what I am going to do tonight. (if interested, more info about movie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grave_of_the_Fireflies)

01/06/2011 13:18

This is definately on my list of one of the best photos I have ever seen. Truly stunning!

5. Roy said:

03/06/2011 15:32

This is really a fascinating image. I observed these in Bolivia, but I have never seen them anywere else.

6. Seiraja said:

07/06/2011 16:37

Well, the pic is stunning, no doubt on that. However, it seems to me that fireflies are pretty common in Italy. At least in Macerata region, where, from time-to-time, I and my family spend vacation. Grass close to walkway was literally glowing at some night.

7. Roy said:

07/06/2011 18:25

@ Seiraja; A species can have a dramatic decline in a global or national scale, as Bruno describes with the fireflies in Italy, but still they can have a healthy population on a local scale. If these fascinating animals are in fact declining elsewhere in Italy you should treasure the Macerata population even more. I wish we had them in Norway :-)

08/06/2011 18:56

next year i will come to visit and photograph these small wonders of the natural world ... :)